You might be wondering, "What health plan will I qualify for? How can I save money?" Well, heres a little help from www.healthcare.gov. We thought we'd share some of their information to help you better understand which direction to go.
Estimated 2016 Household Income
- Below $16,243
- You will qualify for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid based on income alone.
- $16,243 - $29,425
- You will qualify for a Marketplace health plan with lower monthly premiums PLUS savings on out-of-pocket costs, like deductibles and copayments.
- $29,426 - $47,080
- You will qualify for a Marketplace health plan with lower monthly premiums.
- Above $47,080
- You wont qualify for savings on a Marketplace insurance plan. You can buy insurance through the Marketplace at full price, or buy from other sources.
Important dates for 2016 enrollment
- November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
- December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016
- January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
- January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
- January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
If you don't enroll in a 2016 health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you can't enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.