The Cincinnati Insurance Company has compiled a list of tips for shopping safely both in the store and online. Take a look at this list and be ready for the Holidays!
In store shopping:
1. Never leave valuable items in clear view in your vehicle windows - you could be looking at stolen belongings AND a broken car window.
2. Always lock your vehicle when you are in park or at a stop light.
3. Do NOT park in an isolated area or unlit spot.
4. When stopping for fuel, lock your vehicle when leaving it and also while pumping gas. Thieves could steal your personal items when your attention is on the pump.
5. Never leave your keys in the ignition. Your house keys are usually on your key ring and could lead to a bigger loss than you first imagined.
6. NEVER leave your purse in your shopping cart. The moment you turn your attention away, it could be gone.
1. Do NOT respond to spam emails.
2. Be sure you are going to the stores legitimate website. It is better to log directly onto the retailers website than to follow a link.
3. Avoid filling out forms in email messages that ask for your personal and financial information.
4. Confirm your online purchase is secure - Before paying, look in the address box for an "s" in the https:// (not just http://) and in the lower right corner of the screen for the "lock" icon. If in doubt, right click anywhere on the web page and select "properties." This will let you see the URL and whether it's encrypted.
We hope these tips and hints help you this season! Happy shopping!
*Information received from the Cincinnati Insurance Company blog http://blog.cinfin.com/2014/11/25/roundup-holiday-season/