Are your college student's possessions protected?

Alysia Brady

Your college student is leaving for college and you want their possessions protected, right? Your independent insurance agent will be able to tell you if your current homeowners contents coverage will follow your little one off to college. Here are a few things to consider:

  1. Some homeowners policies will provide a percentage of the total contents limit for your student's belongings when living in campus housing. If you have $60,000 contents limit, your homeowners policy may provide 10% of that or $6,000. Note that the liability for bodily injury or property damage to others property is not usually included.
  2. Some homeowners policies will provide coverage as part of the parents' personal property limit without defining a limit. This usually includes liability coverage.
  3. Writing a separate renter's insurance policy for your student can be just as affordable and insure your student has all the coverage they may need. Keep in mind, if your student is coming off of your auto policy, you may look at quoting their renter's and auto coverage with the same company. This sometimes will add an auto/home discount which can help in a big way!

Contact a Mathews Insurance Agent today with any questions about your homeowners policy. Need a renter's or auto insurance quote? We'd be happy to provide you with one!

The coverages described above are general descriptions and may very company to company. Refer to your agent for actual coverages.

Information obtained from the Cincinnati Insurance Company Blog post written by Laura Lewis on 8/5/14.

Categories: | View all Categories

Blog Home - View a complete list of our articles

Leave a Comment: